Thursday, May 23, 2013

Snickerdoodle Blondies {Rebake} (★ ★ ★ ★ ★)

Well, my world has officially exploded.

I'm not even exaggerating.

Now, I'm not saying I'm in a deep pile of ruins and I can't see the light ahead.  
...At least, not today anyway.

But the world I knew...I know.  Is over.  

I live with a bunch of dreamers.  

And just to make sure we're on the same page here:

Dreamer - n. person with exceedingly fantastic ideas and goals who is often plagued with "too much 
talk-ie, but no walk-ie" disease.  They change their minds faster than a college freshman gets drunk, but when they are serious - watch out! Because ain't nobody gonna stop that. It's shear awe-inspiring power.


I am a realist. 

Don't worry, I'll be fair:

Realist - n. person who tends to believe things are "just the way they are" and who strives to live in contentment because even if things aren't as they should be, they know how things will be, and that's pretty comforting. They can complain about circumstances, and yet still be resistant to change. However, I'd challenge you to find someone who one gives better sound advice.

Of course, I am not Webster and these definitions were tainted by my own bias, but I still think they are pretty accurate!  (Please use proper citation if referenced in your research paper...I prefer MLA format).

So when there was the usual unrest and murmurings around here a few months ago, my realist self thought, "Chill.  Remember the talk-ie no walk-ie?  Ya, happens all the time."


Only, this wasn't the "diseased rumblings" time.  Oh, no.

This was the full blown.  Dreamer on a rampage.  Gonna-make-it-happen-time.



[Insert World Explosion]

Boooommmppppaaawwwwssshhhhh!!!!



So what is a girl to do when all that she knows is about to get real foreign, real quick?

Well, rebel of course!  
By rebaking my trusty favorite - Snickerdoodle Blondies.
Because no one else gets to control what I bake, but me!  

And today I bake comfort!
I bake cinnamony!  Brown sugary!  Buttery!  Chewy!
I bake amazing 5 star, solve-all-your-problems bars!

Last time I shared these, I didn't have my wonderful camera and I barely wrote about them at all because I was sick.  So this seemed the most opportune time to present them to you again.  

These. are. incredible.  
One of the few things I have actually given five out of five stars.
Think "snickerdoodle cookie meets always chewy, never dried out goodness."  

I've probably baked these at least six times in the last year.  And that's saying something!  
I'm a food blogger!  
I can't waste my time whipping up something I've already made!
They are just that amazing. 



So now when my new world constists of:

-A best friend who lives in Santa Cruz,

-A family who plans to relocate to Texas or Oregon or Anticoch or Texas again (Make up your minds already!),

-And a 'me' who lives on her own,

At least, I'll still have these blondies.

I'm excited for the changes ahead (as much as any analytical, slightly pessimistic young lady could expect to be), but my goodness, I sure am glad some things stay the same!
Snickerdoodle Blondies
Brilliance by Dozen Flours

  • 2 2/3 Cups Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 2 Cups Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1 Cup (2 Sticks) of Butter, Room Temperature
  • 2 Eggs, Room Temperature
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla 
  • 2 Tbsp White Sugar
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees
Needed: Greased 9x13in Pan
Makes Approx: 15 Bars
1) Using a sifter, sift flour and baking powder over a medium sized bowl.  Set aside.
2) In another medium sized bowl, beat brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
    About 2 minutes.
3) Slowly add in the flour mixture.  Beat until well combined.
4) In a greased 9x13in pan, spread batter evenly with a spoon or spatula.  Batter will be pretty thick so 
    just keep working it.  
5) Once batter is spread, prepare white sugar and cinnamon mixture.  Sprinkle across the top.
6) Bake at 350F Degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Surface should be dry to touch and sort of "spring" back 
    when done.  
7) Cool bars on rack.  You can cut these when still slightly warm.  
 Save the butter.
Save the sugar.
 Save the world. 









This post was featured here:

         












48 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of the Snickerdoodle and these look like I could make a dent in the pan!

    Popping in from Oh, Mrs. Tucker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, I know I have so make these with caution! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. have any idea of how many calories, fats, protein per cookie bar thanks for any feed back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I just pulled all of the ingredients through my Weight Watchers plus calculator and Spark Recipes.

      This is based on the assumption that the recipe will make 15 servings. I think these are realistic portions, however, most brownie recipes will say there are 24 servings per 9x13in pan. So the calories, etc may be less if you'd like to make the portions smaller

      15 Servings
      Nutritional Info Per 1 Bar

      Weight Watchers Plus Points per Bar: 9pts

      Calories: 319.7
      Total Fat: 13.1g
      Saturated Fat: 8.0g
      Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.7 g
      Monounsaturated Fat: 3.5 g
      Cholesterol: 57.8 mg
      Sodium: 174.0 mg
      Potassium: 141.4 mg
      Total Carbohydrate: 58.3 g
      Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
      Sugars: 41.0 g
      Protein 3.3 g

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. In the picture, i see sea salt, but i didn't read it anywhere in the recipe ingredients.. is it suppose to be??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Good catch!!!

      The original recipe called for unsalted butter and an addition of salt. However, I only had salted butter, but didn't realize and added the extra salt to my first batch. They were okay, but a little too salty for my taste. I rebaked them using just the salted butter and I thought they tasted great.

      However, if you'd like to use unsalted butter, just add in 1 tsp of salt.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, new deliciousness! *clap clap* I'm pretty sure that I need these in my life, so thanks for the recipe.


    "Save the butter. Save the sugar. Save the world." Is it just me, or is this a Heroes reference? Maybe I'm the only dork in the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely an unconscious homage to the late great show, but I find I am shaped more by the TV shows I watch than I'd like to admit. Lorelai Gilmore started it all in Gilmore Girls.

      Thanks for stopping by! I love your blog!!

      Delete
  5. Always looking for a great recipe...and these snickerdoodles look great
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! These are very good indeed.

      And thanks for hosting every week.

      Delete
  6. I made these today. Mine came out a lot darker than your photo - I guess because I used dark brown sugar. They were tasty, but I almost felt like I was taking a bite of brown sugar at times! Also, they were a bit more chewy/gooey than I expected. Not sure if maybe I should have baked them a little longer. Thanks for the recipe though! I think the folks that I served the bars to liked them very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's great!

      The dark brown sugar could definitely affect the color. There is more molasses as well so the texture may have varied slightly, but I don't think it would've made too much difference.

      I've never had mine be "gooey" per say, but yes, they are definitely a little chewy. Which I love! And I agree, they are very very sweet.

      I have overcooked a batch before and it wasn't pretty so I think a little undercooking is always preferable to "on the verge of burning." You also might notice a texture change tomorrow (if there are any left). I always preferred them on the day I baked them as they tended to dry out a little the next day, but in your case that might be perfect.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Love Snickerdoodles...will have to try these! We would love for you to share with our Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday link party!:) Just put it up! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2013/05/kitchen-fun-crafty-friday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jill! I just went over and linked up. :)

      Delete
  8. These look fabulous, Nat! I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for snickerdoodle blondies. I love it! Pinned!

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are sooooo good. I'll never make a snickerdoodle "cookie" again.

      Delete
  9. doing everything in my power not to lick my screen! eeee! those look delicious! :) i followed you here from the clever chicks link party. Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/tasty-tuesdays-12.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anyonita! I'm following you by email and RSS Feed and will be sure to link up this Tuesday!

      Delete
  10. Amazing! I pinned this and will totally be trying them! My hubby loves snickerdoodles and I love brownies...this looks like the perfect "marriage."

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, these are perfect when you want a little break from the traditional "chocolate" brownie. I can't stress enough how much I love these things.

      Delete
  11. These look addictive. I love cinnamon, yum! I found your blog through Marvellous Monday's on The Gal Cooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel kinda redundant saying "yes they are," but really...they are! So good and a little bit addicting. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Found you on Cooking for the seven dwarfs. These look amazing! I love anything that is quick, simple and not a ton of odd ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I agree. When I see a recipe with more than 10 ingredients and calling for stuff I don't have in my pantry...my eyes glaze over! No thanks! :)

      Delete
  13. Um, yummy deliciousness! These bars look awesome. And I hear you on the realist thing. I am totally a realist while my husband is a dreamer... needless to say I make a lot of comfort desserts for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Summer, I feel you! Haha, these definitely need to go on your "comfort food" list. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Wow. A dessert that solves your problems? Count me in! These look wonderful and my daughter has been asking to make snickerdoodles...I think we'll try these instead! You are being featured tonight at the Back For Seconds Social :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's awesome! Thanks so much! And I'll tell you that after making these, I think I've officially switched to the "bar" form of snickerdoodles. I think they taste way better.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow! Those look outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! Those look scrumptious!!

    Stopping by from The Great Blog Train!

    Frances
    Frances
    Notions from Nonny
    Healthier Lifestyle with Nonny

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, these looks amazing! Pinned to try this weekend!

    Popping in from the Great Blog Train :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`¤... Jennifer
    Jenn's Random Scraps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, they're pretty good I must say. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. Wow! These look incredible! I will be trying these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look amazing and I adore anything Snickerdoodle- will have to make these myself soon! :)

    Thank you for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks so much for hosting! Have a great weekend, Carrie.

      Delete
  20. What a yummy treat, Nat. Pinned!! Thanks for linking up to last weeks party. Can't wait to see what you link up this week!! Nichi http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/06/tasty-thursdays-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for linking up these bars at our SImply Create Link Party! I just wanted to let you know that I am featuring them as part of 17 Delicious Dessert Bars today on the blog.

    Melissa
    http://www.redflycreations.com/2013/07/17-delicious-dessert-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh!! That's so exciting! Thanks Melissa!!! :)

      Delete
  22. Nat, thanks for visiting our blog, Creating a Beautiful Life. I am pinning these now. I have an entire board dedicated to bar cookies. I've tried three different snickerdoodle bars, but none are worth making again. I'm going to give yours a try!

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, three other recipes?! Well, I swear by these things! But it may just be and you and snickerdoodles just don't get along. Haha. Hope these rock your socks!

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. Of course! Honestly, out of all my posts this has been my favorite and go-to dessert. It is my favorite find. So, THANKS!!

      Delete
  24. Love this recipe! It is a hit every time I make it. The only thing I add to it is a bag of cinnamon chips! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, intriguing idea! I always wondered how I could add more cinnamon to the batter. I mean, that's what makes a snicker doodle, right? But I'm so terrified, because this are already perfect the way they are!

      Delete