Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blueberry Cupcakes w/ Lemon Mascarpone Frosting (★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆)

This past week we were privy to the ultimate in Hollywood glamour, sophistication, and artistry.

Or at least, that's what we're promised...and crossing our fingers for.

But whether or not the Avengers received one too many nominations or Seth MacFarlane has a beyond amazing voice and a dirty mouth, I love taking part in this night reserved for the film elite.

The Academy.

The Awards.

The Oscars.
Every year we have a little party.

I say "little" because there's less than ten people.

But trust me, we do not take this day lightly.

There's food.  Trivia.

And my favorite.
Voting.

Each person gets a ballot and casts their vote for the winners.  Whoever predicts the most correctly is bestowed a prize.

Last year it was a box of Girl Scout Thin Mints.  A small token to some, but, man, did it feeeeeeel good!

Every year, the competition gets more intense.
By now, we've all added "pre-Oscar research" to our list of things to do before the big day.
Weighing five opinions per category is totally reasonable, right? 

But the best part of this years show -- we'll go ahead and leave Seth MacFarlane, in a suit (weakness #1), singing in the vein of Ol' Blue Eyes (weakness #2), out the equation -- the best was this dress and Jennifer Lawrence.

All of her.
She's a Hollywood experiment.

Like somebody thought it would be a hoot to throw in a completely normal, exceedingly awkward, yet surprisingly talented girl into the mess that is fame, fortune, and Jack Nicholson.

I mean, how totally relatable is she?!?  Am I right?

No other actress I know of is so starstruck by every celebrity she meets, freely brings up her "hyperactive" bladder, and spews any off-the-wall comment that comes into her pretty little head.

So when she tripped on that first stair on her way to accept her award, I just chuckled to myself, "Oh. That's so Jenn!"

Like we're buddies or something.
Only, we're not.
But we totally could be!
So to celebrate this great achievement of hers (and those of many others), I made these cupcakes.

Because nothing says "Wow, you were outstanding in that movie!  When you cried, there was snot -- and in that moment, you were unattractive.  Clearly your dedication was above all else this year" like a rustic looking blueberry and lemon mascarpone cupcake. 

So maybe I won't be winning "Best Train of Thought" or "Best Appropriately Themed Cupcake."

But that's okay.  Because everyone loved them.

The cupcakes were so dense and moist.
And the frosting was the perfect blend of cream, lemon, and sweetness.

Perfect enough to help hide the fact that I forgot half of the sugar in the cupcakes when I doubled the recipe.  

Twice. the. amount. means. twice. the. sugar.

Classic Nat!
Blueberry Cupcakes
adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction

  • 3 Cups Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 1 Cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, melted
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 4 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Package of Freeze Dried Blueberries (1.2 oz or 1/4 Cup Ground)


Lemon Mascarpone Frosting
adapted from Week of Menus

  • 4 Tbsp (1/2 Stick) of Butter, softened
  • 8oz Mascarpone Cheese
  • 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar 
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • (Optional) Additional Lemon Juice to Taste


Makes Approx. 24 Cupcakes
Preheat Oven to 350F
1) In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Mix and set aside.
2) In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.  Heat in 30 second increments.
    Note: If you don't have unsalted butter, that's okay.  Just omit the added teaspoon of salt listed in 
              the recipe. 
3) Add sugar to the melted butter and stir until sugar starts to dissolve.  The mixture will still be very 
    grainy.  Place bowl in refrigerator for 1 minute. 
4) Take butter/sugar bowl out of the fridge and add the remaining wet ingredients one at a time, beating 
     in between each addition - eggs, yogurt, milk, and vanilla.

5) Add the dry ingredients to the batter in small increments until well combined.
6) In a food processor (or coffee grinder) grind the freeze dried blueberries until almost a fine powder.
7) Add ground blueberries to batter and beat/stir well.
8) Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill each to about 3/4 full.  
9) Bake at 350F for approx. 20 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted into the center, comes out clean.  
    Allow these to cool completely before frosting. 
10) For Frosting: Beat together softened butter and mascarpone cheese.  Mixture should be fluffy.
11) Add lemon zest and sugar, one cup at a time.  For stiffer frosting, add more sugar.  
If Jenn gets to win, then why can't I?
Clearly I'm not above self promotion, people.









*Special thanks to my sister for being obnoxiously photo happy, yet very helpful in snapping away at me baking this week.  One less day to have to worry about getting flour and butter caked into my lens.





10 comments:

  1. I am SO GLAD that everyone loved these!! They are definitely one of my favorite homemade cupcakes. And they are so easy! I love the blueberry version, I need to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, they were great! I'm always looking for a go-to basic cake recipe. I've had a chocolate one for awhile, but not a vanilla/white cake. :)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen freezed dried blueberries! What a fun cupcake! Love the blueberry and lemon together and I'm a huge fan of mascarpone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before Trader Joe's I hadn't either! But all my friends feed their kids freeze dried fruit and veggies so I knew I could track these down. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Those sound wonderful! I love that frosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. I'm about to try a whipped cream version since butter isn't my favorite for frostings. Light and fluffy is best!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, these sound great! And so pretty, too. Thank you so much for linking up at What's in Your Kitchen Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for stopping by! And for hosting the link party every week. :)

      Delete
  5. This is a very creative blueberry cupcake idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is a great basic cupcake recipe. I found it on Sally's Baking Addiction and just added blueberries. :)

      Delete