Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chipotle Cinnamon Chocolate Cupcakes (★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆)





























I'm not sure what in the world possessed me to ever make these cupcakes, but I LOVE food. I love thinking about it, eating it, trying new things...so when I come across an interesting recipe that sounds like it has even a microscopic chance of being a hit - I'll do it.

I've been working in my church cafe for about two years now. I brought these to the first team meeting I ever went to. Actually, I went to a meeting before I was ever actually scheduled...I got some confused looks when I arrived. Thankfully, I was bearing cupcakes to help ease the tension.

Recipe Inspiration.
I found this particular idea from the "Vanilla Garlic" blog. You can check it out here:
Chipotle Cinnamon Chocolate Cupcakes

Yes, I used a chocolate box mix. I've found chocolate mixes to be quite satisfactory. No need to get out an apron and measuring cups when a good pair of scissors will do the job. I went with dark chocolate this time.

Into the batter went cinnamon, chopped up chocolate chips, and chipotle powder.


Here's the interesting part...for those of you weren't "impressed" with the cinnamon-chipotle combination -- there is NO frosting. That's right, just a little dusting. Put a criss-crossed cooling rack on top to make a nice design.

The powder sugar and chipotle dusting is complete.

They were a hit! Mostly because of the interesting combination, everyone wanted to try one. But I think next time I'd go with a cinnamon or caramel icing/frosting. It was missing that little extra sweetness. And not only did the powdered sugar make the cupcake a little "drier" if you didn't eat it carefully, you got a shirt full of sugar while you're trying not to die from powder inhalation. Not an epic way to go. Not at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment