Friday, March 30, 2012

Simple Apple Tart (★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆)

I had been baking up a storm when I decided to try this apple tart. Wanted to stretch my culinary skills and attempt..."the crust." I don't know how I came across this recipe, but the tart was so beautiful (Can I say that about a baked good?) that I was compelled to make it.

I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen. It's one of my favorite baking blogs...I can spend hours looking through all of their great ideas: Simplest Apple Tart


Delicious "tart" apples


Cutting them this delicately thin required concentrated effort.
I'm more of a "chunky" cutter by nature.


Make the dough and refrigerate at least 30min.
You can make this ahead of time if you'd like.


Probably the most frustrating part of the whole process. Getting the dough thin enough to not only cover the bottom of the dish, but over onto the sides of the tart as well. And don't get me started about "rippage." Far from impossible, but it took me a few tries.


Couldn't get them to lay out QUITE like the original blog, but
wait till the ending picture. It works out.


Dust it with sugar. Actually, this recipe calls for almost no sugar at all.
It was a truly "tart," tart. ...That was lame. And yet, in it stays.


You save the core and peels to boil in a water-sugar mixture for a glaze.
You brush it on top of the tart when it is fresh out of the oven.


Awaiting anxiously. I can't believe I actually wore an apron! I never do that.
Mess on my clothes? Who cares. Sugary snack for later.


Viola! The masterpiece.

The tart was really good. It could've used WAY more sugar though. Like a good cup more. I know some don't like super sweet desserts. So if sticky sweetness isn't your thing grab a cup of coffee, some whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla cause this guy is pretty sour.




No comments:

Post a Comment